Fountas and Pinnell 1996
The ultimate goal of Guided Reading is to help children learn how to use independent reading strategies effectively.”
We now have guided reading running all year in every class from Senior Infants to 4th.
- A teacher works with 4-8 students in each group
- Leveled/banded readers and multiple copies of these readers are used
- Children are grouped according to similarities in reading and development and instructional reading levels
- Teacher introduces/consolidates strategies and concepts to support independent reading
- Every child reads and is supported by teacher
- At the same time another teacher works with small groups to support writing while other groups work independently on teacher designed tasks.
- Guided Reading sessions last for 40 minutes in 1st and take place 3/4 times a week, although not every group reads with the teacher each day.
The video shows a similar model of guided reading.