Old Classroom

Old Classroom

As part of our local history week, some classes visited the old classroom in the library to experience what school was like long ago. Here are some children from Junior Infants who found it very different from the colourful classroom they are used to .

Amalgamation 1939

Amalgamation 1939

Worsening ConditionsAmalgamating the boys and girls Numbers in the boys’ school were falling and this led to bitter feuds between the two principals.The Infant boys attended the girls school. As sometimes children started when only 3, the girls’ principal claimed the older girls were better at mindi

Lessons and Lunches 1900s

Lessons and Lunches 1900s

A Day in SchoolWhat did the children learn at school?The subjects taught were listed as Reading, Spelling Writing Arithmetic, Algebra, Grammar, and Geography.Boys also learned Agriculture and the girls learned needlework.In the early records there was no mention of PE, Irish. or Religion.Music and C

Plumbing and Heating

Plumbing and Heating

Inside the SchoolPlumbingThere was no toilets indoors. The toilets were outside and had no running water or sinks or toilet paper.Everyday water had to be fetched from the pump for the teacher’s tea and from a water barrel across the road for washing dishes and “flushing” the toiletsThe children lov

Staff and rooms

Staff and rooms

The RoomsThe BuildingIn 1865 Mr. John Friel and Ms. Mary Friel were the master and mistress of the boys and girls and lived upstairs.The principal of the boys was called The Master and The Mistress was principal of the girls.The Junior Infants were called Low Babies and Senior Infants High Babies.In

1871 Record Books

1871 Record Books

Keeping RecordsSchools had several important booksThe register kept the names, addresses , fathers occupation of children and dates enrolled.Attendance was marked each day in the roll bookThe daily report book kept records of each classes’ attendance and grants the school received and teachers pay.I

The New School of 1865

The New School of 1865

The Early DaysOn May 8th 1865 boys and girls moved into the new school in Castleknock.It stood at the corner of Beechpark Avenue ( called the side road then ) and Castleknock Road. There are apartments on the site now.Prior to this the school was a little thatched house on the same site as our schoo